Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Onesie Dress

My sewing machine is becoming my new best friend. At my family baby shower, my mom bought a bunch of white onesies for people to decorate. However, there were still tons left over, I took them home, and thought they would come into use and some point. Well, I found the use! I made a white onesie into a cute dress!

I used a 3 months onesie. The front measured to 14 inches around, and 10 inches long from where I wanted to sew. So, I cut a square out of the fabric that was 21 inches long and 12 inches long. I made it longer than it needed to be, so I could account for hems. The first thing I did was sew the hem for the left, right, and bottom, of the skirt.

Once the hem was straight and sewn to perfection, I pinned the pleats around the top as shown in the picture, from the section that was not hemmed (since it wouldn't be seen). Every inch and a half I pinned a new pleat.

Then I sewed it to the onesies, but slipping the onesie and dress over the sewing machine.

Once that was complete it was time to sew the blue band to the dress!

I cut the band to be 3 inches wide and 15 inches long, so it would over lap in the back. Next I did the hem to make a straight line. Then I pinned it over the pleats, and sewed it to the onesie. And voila - a dress!

It is quite cute! And the best part was that it was from scrap fabric from the sling I just made, and the curtains I completed!


What I learned after my baby was born: USE STRETCHY FABRIC! Not sure if it will work the same, but the dress sadly did not fit over her head. I will try again with stretchy fabric to see if I get the same results!

No comments:

Post a Comment