Monday, February 4, 2013

Arts and Comprehension

This year our district has a new leader, and he is amazing. After only a few months of being here, he organized an entire district run buy back day, where every teacher and classified staff met together and were able to "Celebrate each other." Different staff members volunteered and presented on their topic of choice. I was able to attend 3 different presentations, and was able to bring back one idea right away.

This year I am working at a Visual and Performing Arts school, so I decided to go to a presentation based on using the arts to increase comprehension. The basic idea was that we focus on an artist each month, and use different sentence frames that focus on comprehension strategies. I think it helps the students understand comprehension strategies on a level that is easy to talk about. Everyone can discuss a picture.
I am so thankful our district did this!! WAVE!

No comments:

Post a Comment