Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Making Accelerated Reader Fun!

Every year I have posted and made AR fun! I find that the best thing to do is to post it fun first. This year I cut out mickey heads and laminated them, so I could change the students points each week with a whiteboard marker. I find that the students compete against each other, and keep each other reading.

I also give prizes for word count. At 200,000 words, the students receive a prize from my prize box. At 500,000 words they receive a Homework pass, at 1,000,000 words I give them a free book, and at 2,000,000 words I take them to a movie. Usually, only 1 or 2 kids get to the top prize. It is fun to see the students reach even the prize box, and they are excited!

Finally, once the students reach ten 100%'s on quizzes they get a trip to the star jar, which is all free to me! They have stars like "sit in the teachers chair for 15 minutes," "15 minutes of drawing them," or "15 minutes of computer time." These are highly sought after stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment